3.8.11

Jump on the band wagon!

So last week I was supposed to teach the class about Experiential Marketing AND On-Demand Viewing. Being the wonderful teacher that I am, I forgot to talk about On-Demand Viewing (I'm going to call this ODV). Of course, story of my life. There goes 2 points off of my grade. Nice, Shae... real nice.


At first I really had no idea what on demand viewing was... I thought it had something to do with the whole Dish Network "On-Demand" deal. Well turns out, I was sort of right. Have you ever been watching tv (during a commercial) and a little pop up banner comes up, either on the top or bottom of the screen, saying something like, "To watch National Geographic, press the select key on your remote." Or something along those lines. That's basically ODV. 


If you ask me, I think it's pretty smart. People aren't watching tv these days. They have Tivo or Dish On-Demand, so they're fast forwarding through all of those obnoxious commercials. How are we (advertisers) supposed to get the message out to the masses? We WANT them to want what we're selling! Ooo what up ODV?!  

I'm a huge outdoor junkie, for those who know me, and all of my ad/marketing projects have always involved an outdoor company or some kind of outdoor product (building up the portfolio). So, let's say that Backcountry Outdoors has less than a 30 second spot on TV and they're having this massive gear sale. Clearly it's a bit difficult to say/show everything that they have in such a short amount of time. Here's when ODV comes into play. Backcountry's main commercial throws the general idea, "Hey we're having a gear sale and everything we have is kind of awesome so check it out," kind of thing. During this commercial the little pop up banner will come into play, telling the viewer to press "select" on their remote control to learn more about the sale. When the viewer presses select, they will be taken to a new screen, where they could interact with the page and see everything that's in the sale. Pretty simple and a great, new way for viewers to get involved.


Enough of the boring talk. Let's get to something that's more interesting... at least to me. Experiential marketing. Like I said in the previous post it's about getting consumers involved in the brand and/or product. There are sooo many things you can do with it. It's kind of amazing, if you ask me. Any ways. I'll leave you with some nice visuals:










Until next time... Get your learn on.

0 comments:

Post a Comment